Sunday, May 9, 2010

What knowlegde have I connected with past knowledge

As the semester continues to progress and discussion shifts from biochemical concepts to biochemical pathways, I find myself drawing many connections with the information I learned in Anatomy and Physiology. Having taken A&P I am finding it easier to retain the information presented in biochemistry because I am able to think about the material in relation to a biological system of the body.

In chapter 17 of the text we discussed glycolysis cycle, as it relates to the production of ATP. The glycolysis cycle was also discussed in GENERALITIES while taking Anatomy and Physiology, but at the time I often wondered how I was going to retain all that knowledge. What’s fun about taking A&P is that after studying glycolysis you can talk to friends and sound very intelligent on the topic. Now that I am in biochemistry and a conversation about glycolysis involves ten different reactions, numerous enzymes, and words like isomerization, I am told to get new friends.

1 comment:

  1. I like this post. I feel the same way. I thought I was all over those topics in A&P. That turned out not to be the case what so ever, however, taking A&P was a very beneficial buffer pre-biochem. I think A&P focused more on the defined function of these chemical processes and where they occur ( GENERALITIES like you said) where biochemistry was more involved in the science behind them. These "simple" ideas from A&P were taken to a new level in this course and I feel more confident leaving this class with the connections that have been made between the two courses.

    ReplyDelete